Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] marketing hype

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] marketing hype
From: Marek Peteraj (marpet_AT_naex.sk)
Date: Fri Jun 11 2004 - 20:55:47 EEST

On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 17:19, Alfons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 07:08:06PM +0200, Marek Peteraj wrote:
>
> > Are you seriously sure? We're in the marketing hype thread which i've
> > started. ;)
>
> It's not all about you, even if you started it :-)
>
> Seriously now, I see your point, and mutatis mutandis I will
> even agree with it. But I am not as market driven as you seem to
> be. I will make no concessions to the 'rich bedroom techno
> making kids' that make up the larger part of the audio SW
> market, nor am I interested in their opinions. They are just
> not my intended audience, if such a thing exists.

What is your intended audience then?

DAWs in general definitely don't fall into the techno-kids category.

Look at each available DAW what it offers, how it looks like, how usable
it is.

It's driven by market and that is driven by market *demand*. And your
audience is a part of that.

Nuendo has been designed with having *specifically* soundengineers in
mind. They have worked with several highclass sound engineers to make it
as usable as possible(the result is another story).

Besides, ardour has been driven by this kind of thinking. Similar to
evolution-the email client(enterprise). The result?
We have a #lad channel which actually isn't a lad channel at all, since
only user related stuff is being discussed there. Rarely dev stuff.
With ~39 people.
And an ardour channel - ~30 people. Several polls indicate that this is
the most popular app of linux audio.
Is ardour for technokids? Could be. Is it intended for sound engineers -
definitely.

Marek