Re: [linux-audio-dev] softwerk moves on

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] softwerk moves on
From: iain duncan (iainduncan_AT_telus.net)
Date: Thu Jul 15 2004 - 14:25:15 EEST

>>Just out of curiousity, what gui library did you use for softwerk, and
>>if you were to do it over again, would you still use the same one? I'm
>
> i used gtk--, a C++ thin wrapper of GTK+. i would use it again.

If I may ask you and others on here, how does this stack up against
fltk? I'm going to be working on a demo of making a seperate a gui to
control csound from the new csound api, and am trying to figure out
which would be best. I had been thinking fltk because csoundav already
uses fltk so many csounders know it and might have guis they could move
from within csound to without. But I know very little about guis. I'd
like something that is also pretty easy to make new guis quickly if you
have a functioning template.

>>planning on looking through the code as a good way to learn the kind of
>>programming I want to do, and I'd like to know what I should make sure I
>>bone up on first.
>
> i'm not sure its a particularly good example. two reasons: when i
> wrote it, i knew a lot less about how to do this kind of thing than i
> do now, and secondly, its a very specific design. it wouldn't be of
> any relevance to many other kinds of midi programming.

I suspect you are being overly modest, but is that because you think you
didn't design it well, or because it is a specific kind of sequencer? My
interests are in that style of sequencer, but I'm not actually
interested in writing it to do midi output, but again rather to output
to csound through the api. ( If people want midi output to hardware
instruments too, it's trivial to do that from a csound instrument with
all kinds of bells and whistles. ) If you have the time, can you say
what you don't think was good about the design? I was under the
impression that Softwerk does a good job of making real time use the
first priority, which is also what I want. If you think I should look at
other code for learning real time timing critical programming for a live
sequencer, can anyoune suggest a good project to look at?

Thanks
Iain