Re: [linux-audio-dev] missing fonts in VST plugins

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] missing fonts in VST plugins
From: Michael Ost (most_AT_museresearch.com)
Date: Wed Jul 21 2004 - 07:11:15 EEST

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 21:23, Dave Phillips wrote:
> A while ago I was mucking around with fonts to work with Finale under
> WINE. I don't know what I did, but now when I run a VST instrument the
> fonts have been replaced by little empty squares. If anyone can help
> I'll provide the details and images to clarify what's happening. I'm
> hoping it's an easy fix...

I can't explain your problem specifically, but we have had good luck
solving various font problems by using Wine's own font rendering. We put
symlinks to truetype fonts in c/windows/Fonts (whereever that is on your
system). We symlinked from TTF fonts preinstalled with X at
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/*.ttf.

This cleared up lots of font problems we were having on various
machines.

Fonts with X were a nightmare. I spent days on them and was still left
confused. This has been easy and works well for us. And it lets X apps
and Wine apps use the same font files.

There are also some font aliases and settings in $HOME/.wine/config
which let you say what the default font is, where fonts can be found,
and so on.

Finally, you can turn on debug tracing in wine and see what fonts it is
looking for. With recent wines try something like:

WINEDEBUG=+trace,font wine (your app here)
or
WINEDEBUG=+trace,text wine (your app here)

Wine will tell you what it is up to, and what font it is substituting
for the requested font.

- mo

PS: you've got to have a fairly recent Wine for this to work. I think
TrueType support showed up last Summer or so...?