Re: [linux-audio-dev] OSC for GUI-Engine communication

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] OSC for GUI-Engine communication
From: Dave Robillard (drobilla_AT_connect.carleton.ca)
Date: Tue Jul 27 2004 - 21:08:52 EEST

On Tue, 2004-07-27 at 12:33, Paul Davis wrote:
> >I'm writing an audio engine that will communicate with the outside world
> >exclusively via OSC (and perhaps MIDI, but I digress..) It's much more
> >generic, but for the sake of argument let's say the engine is a synth
> >and it needs to talk to a GUI.
> >
> >I need realtime appropriate performance for parameters, and two-way
> >communication (though the synth -> GUI is really simple and not
> >performance critical - error reporting etc.)
>
> so lets just say thats its basically identical in all gross ways to
> jesse chappell's latest incarnation of sooperlooper, which uses OSC to
> connect an out-of-process GUI to the sooperlooper jack client engine,
> and also does MIDI->OSC bridging from an ALSA sequencer port. it works
> great. it uses liblo.

I heard that mentioned on the list, but without a link to the code. I
was interested in it for artistic reasons, but now technical as well..
where's that code?

I've been thinking about the MIDI->OSC part quite a bit, whether to have
the engine support MIDI, or do an out-of-process MIDI->OSC mapping. I
figure a MIDI->OSC control mapper would be a pretty useful thing to have
around for numerous reasons other than this project alone.. but then
voice allocation (for polyphonic synths) would be in that app, which
is.. sketchy

> >The question is, which implementation is best? All I can find is
> >Steve's liblo, libosc++, and the 'official' OSC kit. What are the
>
> afaik, libosc++ just wraps the sdk distributed by stanford. and that
> sdk is just a total nightmare. the 2nd worst code i have ever
> read. use liblo.

Hmm.. okay. I'm glad you said that, because in the mean time I've put
together a prototype using liblo, and I rather like the API.

Thanks

-DR-