Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux/Alsa Tascam US-122 Issues

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux/Alsa Tascam US-122 Issues
From: Rui Nuno Capela (rncbc_AT_rncbc.org)
Date: Mon Sep 27 2004 - 13:40:40 EEST

Hi,

Karsten Wiese wrote:

>Antonio Willy Malara wrote:
>> everyone knows this issue? or knows the versions of alsa/kernel this
>> card will work well? the device is surely working because i use well on
>> osx with audacity
>
> Erm, yes. All of you using ohci usb with recent snd-usb-usx2y will know
> this issue. For the moment I can only recommend to use an earlier
> version. (don't konw exactly which one....don't have no ohci-usb....)
> I've got something cooking to solve this, but don't know when it will
> be ready.

As you might know, my laptop is suffering from this OHCI issue against
US-224 (alsa-driver bug #0000425), but I assume it's not being specific to
this one but also applies to all snd-usb-usx2y supported adapters (US-122
and US-428).

AFAICR, the last alsa-driver release version from which snd-usb-usx2y
worked barely was 1.0.5a. I do remember also that it was somewhat
unstable, specially regarding jackd support, but IMMV.

It's really very good news you have something cooking on this, Karsten.
Just knowing that make me feel a lot better :) Your work has been
unvaluable, and I surely thank you for it.

In the mean time, I'm eager to follow any steps you may suggest, to get
this issue squared once and for all. After all, my US-224 is better suited
for my laptop use (ohci), than with my desktop (uhci) where it runs in
excellent condition.

One thing to note, the Tascam's US-224 user manual has specific references
to which OHCI host controller is known to work. This is the relevant
excerpt:

  The following chipsets have been successfully run with the US-224:

  Intel 82371 AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
  Intel 82371 SB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
  Intel 82801 AA PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
  ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller

As you see, the only OHCI one is the ALi, exactly the one I have on my
laptop. And, did I mentioned that it works with Windows XP on this same
laptop?

Cheers,

--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela