Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [Alsa-devel] Firewire Audio Card Support

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [Alsa-devel] Firewire Audio Card Support
From: Jens M Andreasen (jens.andreasen_AT_chello.se)
Date: Fri Nov 19 2004 - 00:07:13 EET

On tor, 2004-11-18 at 15:16 -0500, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 16:09 +0100, Giuliano Pochini wrote:
> > No, it's not hard because there are a lot of skilled people around, but
> > the card would be expensive. There was a thread about a project of "open
> > source" graphic card recently on lkml.
>
> And I posted a [possibly OT] rant to that thread about how this was a
> waste of time and how you could REALLY make a killing with open sound
> hardware.
>
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2004/10/23/292

That was one h*ll of a comment! But I'll chime in: The problem is not
production cost. The problem is (from a salesmans point of view) what
are people willing to pay? And ..

People pay for ease of use! It is not so different from using session-
players that know their stuff. At least not costwise.

[ Of course, One of us could learn the Cello (given time ..), but
singing the soprano is a task I would not like to know ;) ]

> I got one "right on, brother" response via private mail and that was it.
> But then again half the kernel guys don't have sound cards in their
> machines ;-)

So much for the "Mp3 is killing the Industri" myth then? :))

--
Jens M Andreasen <jens.andreasen_AT_chello.se>