Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Behringer

New Message Reply About this list Date view Thread view Subject view Author view Other groups

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Behringer
From: Doug Wellington (ddw_AT_dakotacom.net)
Date: Fri Dec 03 2004 - 16:44:58 EET

<delurk>

Most of you don't know me, I'm sure, but I've been working with various forms of Unix since the 80's. I work as a system adminstrator during the day, where I deal with about 500 computers of various types, from Linux to Solaris to Tru64 to VMS and, yes, Windows. I'm also a programmer, maintaining various userland applications as well as developing device drivers for the Ensoniq EDS-1000 (PARIS) audio processing card.

I'm a big believer in freedom of choice - choose the right tool for the right job. I also believe in accountability - I don't mind paying for something if it means I get some form of customer service in return. I judge people and companies not just by the initial product they create, but also by how they deal with problems associated with that product.

I also judge people by their reaction to problems I have in my own work - are they understanding of me as a human being or do they get upset with me when I don't meet their standards (which may or may not be my own standards)? With that said, one comment has inspired me to don my asbestos and respond to this thread:

> I think that at some point it has become disrespectful for
> companies to ignore linux.

There is a reason that many "self-help" and "management" books say that you have to *earn* respect. People aren't going to do what you want if you beat them up about it. Look at history - think about how many people were persecuted for "ignoring" Christianity. (I'm not picking on Christianity only, you can substitute many other subjects in that line.) Did that persecution really make people into good/better Christians? The ironic thing to me is that I think the Christian message was a good one and could stand on its own without that persecution. (Simplistic version: would Jesus have persecuted anyone?)

Similarly, I think the Linux "message" is a good one...

> So i can't really understand people (oss users or even oss
> developers) who try to defend the position of companies that
> make their lives harder for no reason.

But it's OK for you to make those companies' lives harder?

I seriously doubt that there is "no reason" on their part - my guess is that everyone has a different position and not everyone understands (or wants to understand?) everyone else's reasons...

I don't know where you live, but here in the States, I don't remember being *forced* to buy any particular thing - I get to choose whatever I want to purchase. Now, I've found a lot of companies that are making a lot of products that don't exactly fit my personal needs, but I don't feel like I've found any company that is purposefully picking on me or trying to make my life harder. (Heehee, remember, we're talking companies here, not government organizations!) ;-) Seems to me if I was to take the time to contact the companies that aren't making products I need and berate them for it, I would be wasting a lot of my life...

-Doug

This archive was generated by hypermail 2b28 : Fri Dec 03 2004 - 16:59:08 EET