Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Behringer

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Behringer
From: Marek Peteraj (marpet_AT_naex.sk)
Date: Fri Dec 03 2004 - 19:57:57 EET

On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 15:44, Doug Wellington wrote:
> <delurk>
>
> Most of you don't know me, I'm sure, but I've been working with various forms of Unix since the 80's. I work as a system adminstrator during the day, where I deal with about 500 computers of various types, from Linux to Solaris to Tru64 to VMS and, yes, Windows. I'm also a programmer, maintaining various userland applications as well as developing device drivers for the Ensoniq EDS-1000 (PARIS) audio processing card.
>
> I'm a big believer in freedom of choice - choose the right tool for the right job. I also believe in accountability - I don't mind paying for something if it means I get some form of customer service in return. I judge people and companies not just by the initial product they create, but also by how they deal with problems associated with that product.
>
> I also judge people by their reaction to problems I have in my own work - are they understanding of me as a human being or do they get upset with me when I don't meet their standards (which may or may not be my own standards)? With that said, one comment has inspired me to don my asbestos and respond to this thread:
>
> > I think that at some point it has become disrespectful for
> > companies to ignore linux.
>
> There is a reason that many "self-help" and "management" books say that you have to *earn* respect.

Ok say you did the drivers, provided support for them, everything went
ok, no ripoffs, say a hundred of sold products as a consequence. After
all that they say "we don't share this information with *anyone*"
If that doesn't ring a bell, then it's not worth to continue with this
discussion.

> People aren't going to do what you want if you beat them up about it. Look at history

Why do i have to look at the history if there are numerous cases which
proved that it just works.

Why do you compare this situation where a bunch of people would normally
try to achieve something, which in return would give companies more
customers, which christian clergy which misused every opportunity to
spread their propaganda.

I deeply feel for those who were brave enough to ignore it and were
prosecuted for it.

> > So i can't really understand people (oss users or even oss
> > developers) who try to defend the position of companies that
> > make their lives harder for no reason.
>
> But it's OK for you to make those companies' lives harder?

Sorry but i fail to see how.

Marek