Re: [linux-audio-dev] Firewire support in Linux

From: Daniel Wagner <wagi@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 26 2005 - 19:16:15 EET

> but if the 1394 interface on my computer doesn't use a BridgeCo chip,
> yet still recieves the data from the wire, isn't this a protocol
> issue, not a h/w issue?

The BridgeCo Chip (the FirePod uses a DM1000) is used as a CPU core with
additinal functional blocks like a AV port (audio video port). So for example
the FirePod has some analog part and a digital part. The core of the digital
part is the DM1000 which does some signal routing etc. The communcitation
directed to the PC is done through the 1394 bus. The PHY is normaly from TI.
So far nothing special about the hardware. The interesting parts are the
protocol used for the communication. The application which is running on
those break out boxes are mostly based on the BeBoB plattform. BeBob
followes the standard protecols defined by various groups like the TA 1394 group.

So in short, yes it is only a protocol issue. You don't need a BridgeCo chip
for communication to a FirePod.

cheers,
daniel