Re: [linux-audio-dev] Soundcards...

From: John Check <j4strngs@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 01 2005 - 01:21:24 EET

On Sunday 30 January 2005 07:59 am, james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jan, 2005 at 07:10PM -0500, John Check spake thus:
> > On Friday 28 January 2005 03:35 am, james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net wrote:
> > > On Thu, 27 Jan, 2005 at 05:23PM -0500, Lee Revell spake thus:

> > > Well, that's not how it works on my card. I have to have the tone
> > > control unmuted and the bass turned down to about 25% to stop
> > > clipping. If I mute it, the volume seems equivalent to having them
> > > both at 50%.
> > >
> > > Stange.
> >
> > Maybe you've got AC97 capture up?
>
> I've had it up and down, but still this is reversed for me. Having
> the bass and treble at less than 50% is quieter than muting the tone
> control.
>
> It seems I have managed to do my usual trick of buying the "magic"
> version of a product. The one that's slightly different to everyone
> else's, in odd ways.

How is your cable routing? Do you have the CD inputs or any other internal
connectors to the soundcard hooked up? Do you have the soundcard next
to a videocard with a fan? I'm thinking about induced hum (dunno if you're
talking hum or hiss)
What mixer are you using? I'd go in with alsamixer (BTW the inputs and outputs
are on separate pages) turn down the monitors, turn all the captures down,
disarm as many record sources as possible then try to pin down whether its
coming through the hardware mixer or the AC97 section.