Re: [linux-audio-dev] Developing a music editor/sequencer

From: John Check <j4strngs@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 01 2005 - 01:36:01 EET

On Saturday 29 January 2005 09:24 pm, NadaSpam wrote:
> Sorry if multiple copies of this appear. The spam filter doesn't like my
> choice of titles. I've tried a few variations so far.
>
> I'm looking to develop a music editor/sequencer somewhat in the vein of
> Cakewalk/Rosegarden, but looking more towards the future of MIDI and audio
> capabilities. I've been thinking about this for a long time, and I think I
> have enough of a plan now to make a go at it.
>
> This is a rather long post, so I've divided it into four parts: Why Not
> Rosegarden?, Project Overview, Design Goals, and End Notes.

I read about 2 paras and said "How about a complete -MIDI- implementation that
syncs and does tuplets? There's not a big call for sequencing Bartok". As far
as notation being ugly, that's why there are programs that specialize in
notation.

Additionally.. existing projects have momentum. It took Rosegarden4 a while to
get where it's going, why not fork that or one of the others? Surely there's
one primitive enough that you don't have to demolish it before you can use
any of the code. It seems like a shame to me that the developer pool for
sequencers is so tiny, yet there is no cooperation.

Even Linus had modest expectations at the start.