Re: [linux-audio-dev] Chionic 1.0.0 Final (Sampler) Released!!

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 09 2005 - 15:31:31 EEST

>I'm over with the development of chionic, on it's first release. I have
>to sadly accept that as much as it works the way I want, I cant
>communicate my sequencer to chionic in the way I need (because Jackd is
>too poor to do it the proper way).

  [... ]

>CHIONIC IS DEAD UNTIL SOMEONE DECIDES TO PICK IT UP AND CONTINUE
>DEVELOPMENT (or until Jackd matures enough.. yeah right :)

this style of complaining about the lack of MIDI in jackd is
irritating, to say the least.

jack was not written with the goal of handling non-streaming
byte-oriented protocols. despite that, ian esten managed to add MIDI
support very rapidly (less than a week, including 2 complete
reimplementations).

the reason jackd doesn't have MIDI support is that ian went to work
for a rather large commercial audio software+hardware company, which
raised difficult issues about our ability to accept his code. it has
taken a long time (too long) to get an official and unambiguous
release from the company to make it clear that they have absolutely no
claims on jack-midi.

if jack-midi is so important to you, take the work that ian post to
LAD (which is unambigously clear of any claims because it was written
before he started working there) and fix up the issues with
it. otherwise, please quit whining as if it was someone's job to
provide you with the facilities you want.

jack will support MIDI, its just hard to predict the timescale right
now.

--p