Re: [linux-audio-dev] Other real-time options

From: Jan Depner <eviltwin69@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 09 2005 - 10:35:30 EEST

On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 21:46, Shayne O'Connor wrote:
> Jean-Marc Valin wrote:
>
> >>If someone sets up this forum, and more than twice of us sign
> >>up, that should show those arrogant lklm-people that there are really
> >>_a lot_ of us, and that we are strong, and very angry. Hah!
> >>

> >First, please stop this "arrogant lkml-people" attitude, it won't help.
> >Second, I would think that instead of a petition with just lots of names
> >on it, I would prefer a letter signed by the maintainers of as many
> >Linux projects as possible, i.e. not signed as "Jean-Marc Valin", but
> >"Speex maintainer" (Jack maintainer, GnomeMeeting, ...). I'm sure this
> >would give a lot more weight to the proposition.
> >

> i would have though a petition from *users* who have gone through the
> hell of trying to set up their linux system for audio would be a *lot*
> better than, from what i can tell, is an already exhausted path ...
>
> i'm sure the maintainers/developers of linux audio projects could give a
> lot more *authority* but i'm sure us users could lend a lot more *weight*.
>
> anyhow, why not do the obvious and combine the two approaches - the
> developers/maintainers can draft a petitionary letter to the Kernel
> developers, signed as you suggest "Speex maintainer" etc. this can then
> be put up on an appropriately set up website where LAUers can add their
> name in support ...
>
> ... something along these lines anyway ...
>
> i think it would be a huge mistake, though, to issue any sort of
> statement/letter/petition that didn't at least make an *attempt* to
> incorporate the large and growing base of Ordinary linux audio users.

    I agree completely. Another thing that Shayne pointed out in an
earlier post is worth mentioning again. There are a ton of people who
would like to dump Windoze and come over but it's too difficult at the
moment. We have a "chicken-and-egg" problem here. Until the system is
ready we won't get users, and those who are in charge of getting the
system ready don't think there are enough users.

Jan