Re: [linux-audio-dev] Sequencer Concept

From: Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen <k.s.matheussen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 30 2005 - 16:44:04 EEST

Thorsten Wilms:

>As the horizontal axis stands for time, i needed to express
>the nesting only verticaly (plus color), so that's what the
>round corners and the empty bottoms of the containers are
>for. Maybe it helps when you think on Lisp and paranthesis,
>only vertcaly.

Below is my (short) personal view on your design. Don't
take it as an attack on your ideas, but a different persons
opinion, and use it for what its worth.

I think this kind of design of a graphical
interface for western classical scores on a computer
is inefficient because it wastes too much space on the
computer screen. The result is that the composer needs to spend work
doing too much navigation.

Whats the point of visualy seeing the pitch of notes? You hear
them much better. Just write the name of the notes instead of
spending all that much vertical space.

I spent three years coming up with this design:
http://www.notam02.no/radium/
which I know (by personal experience) is a damn extreme
efficient note/score editor.
http://www.notam02.no/~kjetism/radium/pictures/v062_linux.png (linux
screenshot)
http://www.notam02.no/arkiv/src/radium-0.63.tar.bz2 (linux alpha)