Re: [linux-audio-dev] Sequencer Concept

From: Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 30 2005 - 17:59:48 EEST

On Sat, Apr 30, 2005 at 03:44:04PM +0200, Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen <k.s.matheussen@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Below is my (short) personal view on your design. Don't
> take it as an attack on your ideas, but a different persons
> opinion, and use it for what its worth.

No worries, especialy as you get on the least important
aspect of my mockup. The graphical note view could be
switched to a table with note names/numbers.

Still I have some commnents:

> Whats the point of visualy seeing the pitch of notes? You hear
> them much better. Just write the name of the notes instead of
> spending all that much vertical space.

The pitch of how many notes, from a region
of what size, can you hear and make out at once?
Visual perception gives us a broad channel not tied
to time like audio is. And graphical representation
(if done well) is faster to make sense of than text.

But of course some people are more visualy oriented
than others.

I have worked with keyboard internal sequencers and
their list views for years. I don't want to go back
and pretty well know why (allthough list editors are
a nice addition).

---
Thorsten Wilms