RE: [linux-audio-dev] [ANN] "Symmetries" premiere recording nowavailable (and other goodies)

From: Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 30 2005 - 17:01:21 EEST

> The ensemble is off by at least 5hz occasionally. It sounds like your
> oscillators are getting payed to do the job in spite of deeply hating
> contemporary music.

Some of the detuning you hear is due to 4 pitch-shifting LADSPA plugins
which are controlled via MIDI controller. Unfortunately, mapping of MIDI
controls for these via jack-rack does not currently permit fine-tuning of
how MIDI data interacts with the pitch-shifting range. Hence, the only
choices when controlled via 0-127 controller for pitch-shifting gives me
something like (this being a really loose approximation as I do not recall
exact figures): 43 = ~0.997 (1 being no transposition), 44 = ~1.04, etc.
This is because the range of the pitch-shifting parameter in LADSPA plugin
goes from 0.5 to 5, so AFAIK there is no way to fine-tune the pitch-shifting
beyond that, at least not using this particular approach.

That being said, this is the aspect I actually very much appreciate from an
aural perspective, as it provides a unique color to the piece...

Best wishes,

Ivica Ico Bukvic, composer & multimedia sculptor
http://meowing.ccm.uc.edu/~ico/