[linux-audio-dev] more on damaging signals

From: Dave Griffiths <dave@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 21 2005 - 15:17:21 EEST

Hi all,

I posted some questions a while back about signals that could potentially
damage PA speakers, or equipment after amplification. I'm starting to look
at using a genetic programming synthesiser I'm writing for live
performance:

http://www.pawfal.org/index.php?page=WigWamJam

This synthesiser can create arbitary functions for rendering samples,
these functions are then randomly mutated and guided by the user by
aesthetic choice. As you can imagine, during this process rather nasty
sounds can be generated (this may not prove to be a useable system for
live use without people getting annoyed and throwing things at me, but,
erm, bear with me here :)

Other than user driven selection based on the audible results, some
automatic removal of functions is going to have to happen. From people's
feedback on LAD these would include rendered sounds that have the
following features:

* high dc offset
* very low frequency
* very high frequency

I'd like to avoid filtering the sounds as a post process ideally, but I
guess some enveloping would be needed to prevent sudden jumps in dc at the
beginning and end of the samples. I'd also automatically remove functions
that result in silent samples.

Any thoughts?

cheers,

dave