Re: [linux-audio-dev] JACK error 4294967295

From: Hans Fugal <hans@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 14 2005 - 16:33:58 EEST

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 at 08:49 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 23:45 -0600, Hans Fugal wrote:
> > Ah! It came to me just now - I set the priority field in qjackctl to 0
> > instead of 1 (where it was) and now jack apps can start. Heads up there.
> > Maybe applications need a way to recognize what rt_priority level to ask
> > for based on what jack is running at? On a tangent, how exactly does
> > that work? Is rt_priority=0 sufficiently prioritized? (because it is the
> > only thing running realtime)
>
> i think the problem with zero is that with -R, jackd actually needs 2
> (or even 3) priorities:
>
> * watchdog thread
> * driver thread
> * client threads
>
> since it sets the watchdog to run at the stated priority, the others
> need to be below it. hence ... the classic UINT_MAX-1 error. we should
> probably add a check for the given priority to make sure this can't
> happen. care to submit a patch?

So you're saying jackd should run at priority 1 or higher, and we ought
to check for that? I could probably manage such a patch, but running at
priority 1 is what was causing this error for me with jack apps. Is
there a way to match priority from jack apps automatically?

--
 Hans Fugal                 | If more of us valued food and cheer and
 http://hans.fugal.net/     | song above hoarded gold, it would be a