Re: [linux-audio-dev] Juce now has ALSA support!

From: Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com>
Date: Wed Mar 01 2006 - 22:26:00 EET

On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 15:15 -0500, Lee Revell wrote:
> aplay -L

> cards 'cards.pcm'
> front 'cards.pcm.front'
> rear 'cards.pcm.rear'
> center_lfe 'cards.pcm.center_lfe'
> side 'cards.pcm.side'
> surround40 'cards.pcm.surround40'
> surround41 'cards.pcm.surround41'
> surround50 'cards.pcm.surround50'
> surround51 'cards.pcm.surround51'
> surround71 'cards.pcm.surround71'
> iec958 'cards.pcm.iec958'
> spdif 'cards.pcm.iec958'
> modem 'cards.pcm.modem'
> phoneline 'cards.pcm.phoneline'
> default 'cards.pcm.default'
> dmix 'cards.pcm.dmix'
> dsnoop 'cards.pcm.dsnoop'

Seriously, I do think a valid point has been raised (though the problem
is not nearly as bad as "ALSA is an undocumented maze").

Besides my previous statement about use of front, rear, default PCMs,
what other details might an ALSA mini HOWTO for end users cover?

Please don't mention .asoundrc (should be completely invisible to the
end user if everything is working right) or alsa-lib API (developer
stuff is already well documented).

Lee