[linux-audio-dev] Juce now has ALSA support!

From: Julian Storer <jules@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 28 2006 - 23:49:04 EET

Hi folks

A while ago there was some talk on the newsgroup about my Juce library,
and people were asking if/when I'd add support for audio under Linux..
well it's taken me a while to get round to it, but I finally battled
through the hostile, undocumented jungle of ALSA, and the latest Juce
release does finally make a noise under Linux!

Some quick background info for those of you who won't be familiar with
Juce - it's a cross-platform (Windows/Mac/Linux) GUI + everything else
library, similar to Qt, wxWindows, etc, released under the GPL. Because
of my background (I wrote Tracktion), there's a lot of audio stuff in
there, and it's got cross-platform support for DirectSound, ASIO,
CoreAudio.. and now ALSA.

So anyway, if anyone's interested in having a go, that'd be great, as so
far I've only been able to test it on my laptop's built-in soundcard!
The Juce demo app has an audio page which monitors incoming audio, plays
wavefiles and has a simple synthesizer. It lets you pick a soundcard,
change its sample rate, etc.

Hope this is of interest to people! More info here:
http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com/juce
and downloads here:
http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com/juce/download.php

(Oh - and before anyone asks "does this mean Tracktion is going to come
out on Linux soon", the answer is "I don't know"!)

Cheers!

Jules