[linux-audio-dev] Writing PCM to left and right channel sperately?

From: Tobias Scharnberg <elisa.zwei@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 09 2006 - 17:28:22 EET

Hello List,

I'm new to audio programming and have problems finding the right
solutions for the development I work on right now:

I need to use the left and the right audio channel seperately. The
device is an ARM based board with a AC97 soundchip. It seems to work
with OSS so far and I did choose libsdnfile to open Soundfiles and get
the PCM. As far as I learned the audio data is coded in one stream,
one sample left, one sample right. Is there a way to separately fill
the soundcard buffers with ALSA?
The only solution I can think of right now is to recode the audio
data to left only or right only and to use a library like esound to
mix them together. Is this the right way to do such a thing?

Any suggestions, pointers, hints are highly welcome.

Greetings,
Tobias