[linux-audio-dev] regarding the 2nd Book Of Linux Music & Sound

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 29 2006 - 14:21:15 EEST

Greetings:

  My publisher, Bill Pollock, has been gently pressuring me to commit to
completing the 2nd edition of The Book Of Linux Music & Sound.
Unfortunately I'm in a precarious position to commit myself to the work.
The first book nearly wiped me out, I'm not sure I can sustain the
effort to bring the next edition to light. Nevertheless, I'm still
interested in seeing this book through to completion. So I have some
questions for the community :

  1. Is there a real need for another book such as the The Book Of Linux
Music & Sound ?

  2. If so, would I be wise to ignore the 2.4 kernel series ? (It would
make it easier to ignore material re: OSS/Free)

  3. Would anyone be interested in co-authoring the book ? I've
considered offering some chapters to certain people on these lists, but
the issue of reimbursement gets sticky WRT royalties and other
compensation. I made very little money from the first book, but money
wasn't the true reward anyway, so perhaps there's a way to turn it into
a community-based work.

  4. Is anyone else already working on such a project ? I don't want to
duplicate efforts.

  Btw, this is the last hurrah for this project. If I don't take it now
I won't be taking it on at all. I have a life, it's pretty full, and
committing to this edition would be a major disruption. I can guarantee
that it would be the last book I'll ever write.

  I look forward to your comments and advice.

Best regards,

dp