Re: [linux-audio-dev] regarding the 2nd Book Of Linux Music & Sound

From: Luis Garrido <luisgarrido@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 29 2006 - 18:41:56 EEST

> 1. Is there a real need for another book such as the The Book Of Linux
> Music & Sound ?

I bought my latest computer book some ten years ago. Things go too
fast nowadays and from the moment the author ends the writing until it
reaches my bookshop the information it contains is already dated.

Furthermore, linux audio is at a fluid point where many things are
coming together, but are not there just yet for the end user. As far
as I am concerned, and of course YMMV, key areas where I feel
commercial software is still years ahead are Virtual Studio and
WYSIWYG music notation, among others.

What is the profile of the potential reader? Non-technical people will
be scared of Linux if their distro doesn't detect their hardware at
the installation. Developers are used to find the information they
need on the net, although they can appreciate a good reference book on
_stable_ technologies. For the technically oriented musician perhaps
there is not that much readily usable software yet.

I think I wouldn't take the job if the only reasons were financial.
Perhaps in a couple of years. Until then, I am looking forward to this
web that aggregates the scattered resources around that people have
been talking about.

My 2 eurocents,

Luis