Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: GPL Audio Hardware

From: Joshua Boyd <jdboyd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 06 2006 - 22:56:55 EEST

On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 07:56:23PM -0400, Dave Robillard wrote:

> Agreed. "We" don't need a bunch of useless consumer cruft on a card.
> However channels are good, don't downplay channels :). This thing
> should have as many channels as possible. Obviously there is a physical
> limit to how many you can cram in physically, but that's what lightpipe
> is for. There's many 8x8 rackmount preamps out there you could hook up
> (including a nice and cheap one from Behringer)

Has anyone ever tried to build a lightpipe device? I'm not sure you can
get the recievers or transmitters for them for building open or hobbiest
devices, but would love to hear otherwise.

> Frankly I think 60+ channels is completely unrealistic (otherwise one
> would probably exist), but what do I know. If it's possible, hell yes
> put them in there.

I have a 2U box next to me that supports 80 channels in AND out, while
still having 20 some connectors for other things. Furthermore, this box
has a networking system that puts 64 complete AES channels on coax ring
network. This box is all digital audio in and out, not analog.

I think this box is a clean indication that it should be feasible to
have at least 80 channels in and out from a system that uses a single
PCI card and a 2U breakout box. If you want XLR analog, that would
probably require more space. I see a lot of pro audio equipment that
uses custom wired connectors, but I don't like them.

Heck, if one had the specs forthe token ring network used (which is a
custom one), one might be able to create a PCI card to do just that
reusing the rest of the box. But the company that makes it has no
interest in doing such a thing, so someone else probably needs to
start from scratch.

> FWIW, my ideal audio interface _requires_:
>
> * As many channels as possible
> * At least 1 ADAT Lightpipe in/out
> * Clock sync

Sure, but why not also ask for it to be able to operate as the master
and offer a word clock output to other gear. Or perhaps offer the
avility to sync to blackburst coming in and still drive a synced word
clock going out.

> * Balanced everything

I think balanced for digital is overrated. I may be strange, but I
prefer coax for digital audio. And I mean real coax with BNCs, not coax
with RCA connectors.

BNCs are used for word clocks, so why not stick with them for the rest
of the digital audio gear?

> * Real 19" rackmount breakout box

Any such system should be laughed at if it doesn't at least offer that
as an option.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd@email-addr-hidden