Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA needs & wishes

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 27 2007 - 15:07:00 EET

On Sat, 2007-01-27 at 16:05 +1100, Fraser wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've been converting my old VST plugins over to LADSPA and have come
> across something in the api which I really miss - the inability separate
> the algorithmic to the displayed value of a parameter.
> I'm finding this inability is leading to non-ideal programming habits.

the first issue you raise is a basic flaw in LADSPA's design that we
tried to patch over with the hint stuff. there is no real solution for
it that i know of - its just a dumb piece of design on our part.

however, it and i think all the other issues you raise are all solved by
LV2 (LADSPA Version 2), which has come about in part from other people's
difficulties with the same range of problems as you.

i would personally recommend:

   1) do a LADSPA version and just suck up to the nasty display issues
of showing the user the raw value unless its an SR-related parameter

   2) be ready to take the core of your plugin and release it as an LV2
plugin once adoption of it by a couple of hosts emerges. it will be very
easy to do this, and will open up a world of new possibilities.

the bottom line is that the problems you have identified have been
identified before, and the solution is LV2. they will not be fixed as
part of LADSPA v1 because the fix has already been designed and in some
senses implemented.

--p