[linux-audio-dev] Re: [linux-audio-user] donations or sponsoring?

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 06 2007 - 22:56:08 EET

On Tue, 6 Feb 2007, Leonard Ritter wrote:

> from http://www.leonard-ritter.com/donations_or_sponsoring
>

> I keep bouncing an idea in my head, thinking about how to strengthen the
> bonding between open source software developers and software users.

Possibly old news, but in case you haven't read this yet, Luis Villa has
some excellent insights on the topic -- and especially the point that
paying volunteers can have a counter-intuitive effect:

http://tieguy.org/blog/2006/06/18/crowding-out-of-intrinsic-motivations-aka-the-bounty-problem/

This is not to say the idea is bad, quite the opposite. It's just it seems
to be really hard to find a sustainable balance.

--
  links, my public keys, etc at http://eca.cx/kv