Re: [LAD] JACK & MIDI

From: Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden-lab.de>
Date: Fri Jan 18 2008 - 00:13:10 EET

and the technical ignorant again.
  Correct if I'm far wrong: lv2 does roughly contain what you were looking
for.
  The LV2 API is (at least mechanically or whatevfer) not to far from the JACK
MIDI approach.
  About the format being float or what, having to be converted to 7BIT
MIDI-controls: JACK has audio-ditherin, it could contain functions for
"MIDI-control"-dithering. At least ones the programmer could decide to call,
activate. Doesn't really matter which one. At least, it would be something the
app needs to do. If each author writes it himself or if JACK offers some
simple standard functions to do it is - pardon my French - shit. A function
like this would be so simple even _I_ could write it. - About spending
CPU-cycles: you'd know more than me. But with a simple well-designed plan it's
not too bad.
  Why can't those people who discussed it here (Dave R., Fons and probably
more - simply sit down and try to take as much as possible from the API - as
it is - and try to work this new concept around it.
  As I'm aware - I might be wrong, but probably not - there are still very few
clients, which really support JACK MIDI. And if you all can agree, that
there's still work to be done, others would most certainly obstain
frommigrating to JACK MIDI until those problems are solved to a point of a
stable API at least.
  I may be far wrong: But to me it seems like more religeous than scientific
dispute. And oppinions can always be shared, negotiated and partially be built
into existing concepts.
  Besides in the main part it seems like the proposals of this discussion are
more an extension to the existing system, than a counter-proposal. Why not try
to get together perhaps ask around who wants to be in it, get an IRC-channel,
meet at LAC 2008 (for whom it's possible) and try to exchange oppinions. As
we've seen earlier, such meetings, private real discussions (take the phone if
all else lacks), have resulted in changes for the better. I intend to offend
noone, but see Csound. It stood still for so long, and a few words spoken from
one person to another, and soon after csound moved on and they discovered,
they all had roughly the same thing in mind.
  Please excuse me for the length and probably the impertinence of this mail.
But I like to see moving. I can't really code anything myself, but I just
hoped I could cool down the mood a bit.
 Kindest regards
         Julien

--------