Re: [LAD] JACK & MIDI

From: Dave Robillard <dave@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 18 2008 - 03:28:28 EET

On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 23:13 +0100, Julien Claassen wrote:
> and the technical ignorant again.
> Correct if I'm far wrong: lv2 does roughly contain what you were looking
> for.
> The LV2 API is (at least mechanically or whatevfer) not to far from the JACK
> MIDI approach.

Well, if you were to wrap functions around it it would be about the same
anyway (there's no event "API" for LV2 really, but Jack of course
wouldn't have exposed structs like the header I pointed to)

> As I'm aware - I might be wrong, but probably not - there are still very few
> clients, which really support JACK MIDI. And if you all can agree, that
> there's still work to be done, others would most certainly obstain
> frommigrating to JACK MIDI until those problems are solved to a point of a
> stable API at least.

There are plenty of people using it, and the API is stable as of 0.109.0
- it's definitely not changing (again) in Jack 1. The existing one is
fine for the uses intended anyway (if you're doing massive sysex dumps,
don't use Jack)

But there will be a Jack 2 at some point...

-DR-