Re: [LAD] [Jack-Devel] JACK & MIDI

From: Dave Robillard <dave@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 18 2008 - 19:48:42 EET

On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 14:38 +0100, Pieter Palmers wrote:
> If someone comes up with a decent 'event protocol' I'm volunteer to
> implement it in jack, alongside the current jack-midi API (as an
> experimental feature). From an implementations perspective it's a
> no-brainer.
>
> But can someone please tell me what to implement. And not in a vague
> way. IMHO that's the real issue, and the 3 points you now mention are
> only the first steps along that path. Please don't stop there. Take the
> time to write a funded proposal that can be discussed, and then implemented.

I don't think bloating Jack up with umpteen different event protocols is
a very good idea when they can all be transported with virtually
identical APIs.

An event in Jack is just a certain length of bytes with a timestamp
anyway, you /could/ theoretically just cram OSC messages into a Jack
MIDI port if the receiving app was expecting it... there's just no type
field in events, and the names of the functions in the API imply it's
MIDI specific (which it isn't, really)

-DR-