Re: [LAD] [Jack-Devel] JACK & MIDI

From: Dave Robillard <dave@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 18 2008 - 19:54:37 EET

On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 09:37 -0800, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 14:38 +0100, Pieter Palmers wrote:
> Is there anything inherently wrong with OSC as a _transport_ protocol?
> Anything that makes it unsuitable for that purpose within the framework
> of jack? (I know there have been threads about this before)

To transport OSC around in something like Jack, you can just use the
messages part of OSC and ignore the "transport" part of it (which is in
practise UDP and such, but if you read the spec you'll see this isn't
actually part of the OSC spec at all)*.

I do this successfully in LV2 in a virtually identical way to MIDI,
which is analogous to how it works in Jack.

A MIDI event and an OSC message are just a sequence of bytes at the end
of the day.

-DR-

(* P.S. Compatibility with networkey OSC stuff is elegantly possible,
but a long digression best ignored right now. Jack itself is just
concerned with messages.)