Re: [LAD] [Jack-Devel] JACK & MIDI

From: Pieter Palmers <pieterp@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 18 2008 - 17:02:23 EET

Phil Rhodes wrote:
> It seems to me dangerously like you're running off down a road familiar
> to Linux - create something that's a fantastic engineering solution and
> runs at a million miles an hour on a 286, but which is completely
> pointless and unusable because it won't talk to anything.

indeed, but do you have an alternative? It's sort-of a chicken-and-egg
issue. Back when jack was conceived, there were no jack clients either.
So you didn't have anything to 'talk to' either (important exception: a
soundcard).

If we can come up with something 'better than MIDI', it could be
interesting. Especially since these days a lot of audio stuff doesn't
leave the pc anyway. The only thing tying us to MIDI are the external
devices. And if the 'better than MIDI' can be downgraded to plain MIDI
you have something to talk with.

Greets,

Pieter