Re: [LAD] [Jack-Devel] JACK & MIDI

From: Dave Robillard <dave@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 19 2008 - 01:58:29 EET

On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 20:54 +0100, Pieter Palmers wrote:
> Dave Robillard wrote:
> > An event in Jack is just a certain length of bytes with a timestamp
> > anyway, you /could/ theoretically just cram OSC messages into a Jack
> > MIDI port if the receiving app was expecting it... there's just no type
> > field in events, and the names of the functions in the API imply it's
> > MIDI specific (which it isn't, really)
>
> The similarity is why I indicate it at as a no-brainer btw. As fair as I
> can see it comes down to introducing a type field in the event structure
> and generalizing the current _midi_ functions to _event_ ones. And
> providing _midi_ wrappers. That on itself would allow people to
> experiment with whatever event they prefer, without interfering with
> normal jack behavior.

It is indeed a no-brainer: no downside, and a heck of a lot of wins. I
was very disappointed when it was rejected the first time around :/

Nitpick:

I realized an oops on my part here. (Unlike LV2) Jack /events/
themselves don't need a type field, since a port would presumably only
transport events of one type. So all events can use the same
(conceptual) "struct" and API, the /port/ type would say what the type
of the events actually are.

Cheers,

-DR-