Re: [LAD] alsa and OSS (again?)

From: Albert Graef <Dr.Graef@email-addr-hidden-online.de>
Date: Tue Jan 22 2008 - 01:09:37 EET

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> Yes, but it is the only way to make midishare "mainline". So that it
> will always work with any vanilla distribution kernel (that has, of
> course, enabled its build).

Agreed.

> The other option would be to implement all of midishare in user space.

That would be my preferred solution. IIRC, the kernel module was needed
(in the days of kernel 2.4 or 2.2 that is) to have a reliable timer
interrupt and lowlat IPC. It should be possible to do this entirely in
userland now, but there might be other issues I'm not aware of, we'll
have to ask Yann about it. As we'll probably meet at LAC we might have
some time to discuss it there.

> Well, the kernel maintainers of course. And whoever is maintaining it
> now (sorry, I don't who that might be).

Grame. (I'm just a user myself, I only provide SUSE RPMs and update
these according to my own needs.)

> They don't need to update the kernel.

No, what I meant is that you'd need to follow each dotdot release of the
kernel and update the Midishare module accordingly. Not a big deal if
you follow all kernel releases anyway, but I don't have the time to do
that and neither does the Grame team AFAIK.

Albert

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af
Dept. of Music-Informatics, University of Mainz, Germany