Re: [LAD] LV2 " isn't well thought out ?" LV2 in the Reaper sequencer

From: Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 22 2008 - 19:10:42 EET

On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 15:18 +0100, Benno Senoner wrote:

> I think the attitude of certain LAD-ers is one of the reasons why
> linux audio will
> remain an irrelevant niche for a long time to come.

How about you put in names, coward?

You imply that there is some kind of overall linux audio thing. You also
seem to imply that it staying an irrelevant niche is a bad thing. If you
want to benefit from someones work offered for no charge, you might have
to at least tolerate their different point of view.

> How can you you create a standard like LV2 and then make statements
> like
> "reaper is the enemy" ?

Who called it an enemy?

Even then, what has one to do with the other? Why shouldn't one make a
standard to suit ones own need and not care about what groups with
different views do ro don't do with it?

> I think LV2 devs did not do their math correctly, since it seems that
> every non GPLed app
> is labeled as the enemy, they should change the LV2 license to GPL and
> it will
> avoid pollution by proprietary apps.

Utter bullshit. Members of the LS project shouldn't give lixensing
advice, anyway.

> So LV2 devs, what was the true reason to release LV2 under LGPL ?
> (which allows the API
> being used by proprietary apps too)

No one said they can't use it. Stop making up statements that weren't
given.

> Pieter summed it up well, LV2 devs should speak out whether they want
> to create
> a true standard or an open-source application standard only.

> But given their attitude regardless of LGPL or GPL I don't see a great
> future for LV2,
> it will probably be used by a few open source niche apps and it was
> about it.

Please wake up to the fact that even if you just look at the core team,
Steve and Dave, you already see different views. You deal with
individuals. Scary, I know.

If you want to see LV2 make it beyond "a few open source niche apps", do
something for it. Just because you might think it's a good goal doesn't
mean others have to.

> But it seems that people here simply don't care, what counts is one's
> religious belief. Different
> religions are not accepted.

You still fail to differentiate between individuals.
You deride other peoples values/priorities as religion, only because you
don't share them. Then you complain about non-acceptance, but that's
exactly what you do: you don't accept differing values/priorities.

> If the need arises, other groups will be formed and they will put into
> practice their ideas.

Talk is cheap.

> If we were such close minded like certain LADers here LS would not
> enjoy this kind of success.
> Politeness, openess and dialogue is the key.

Is this mail an example of your politeness and openness?
I think I have to throw up!

--
Thorsten Wilms
thorwil's design for free software: