Re: [LAD] LV2 " isn't well thought out ?" LV2 in the Reaper sequencer

From: Benno Senoner <benno.senoner@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 22 2008 - 16:18:32 EET

Well Dave P, what should I say ?
I think the attitude of certain LAD-ers is one of the reasons why linux
audio will
remain an irrelevant niche for a long time to come.
How can you you create a standard like LV2 and then make statements like
"reaper is the enemy" ?
I think LV2 devs did not do their math correctly, since it seems that every
non GPLed app
is labeled as the enemy, they should change the LV2 license to GPL and it
will
 avoid pollution by proprietary apps.
So LV2 devs, what was the true reason to release LV2 under LGPL ? (which
allows the API
being used by proprietary apps too)

Pieter summed it up well, LV2 devs should speak out whether they want to
create
a true standard or an open-source application standard only.

But given their attitude regardless of LGPL or GPL I don't see a great
future for LV2,
it will probably be used by a few open source niche apps and it was about
it.
after all VST 2.4 is quite limited (only 1 MIDI input port, only MIDI and
audio data types)
yet it is the industry standard and probably for a long time to come.

So creating a new, open standard for both open source and commercial apps
only takes a few interested parties (let's say a bunch of smaller
proprietary and open source application developers and spec it out.
The success of an API is influenced more by its adoption by various players
rather than
technical excellence. We have many examples in the industry.
For example having an open standard and a sequencer like Reaper which uses
it could be a big
driver to speed up its adoption.
But it seems that people here simply don't care, what counts is one's
religious belief. Different
religions are not accepted.
I will not insist trying to change anyone's mind, it makes no sense.

If the need arises, other groups will be formed and they will put into
practice their ideas.

We of LinuxSampler do not have problems with various plugin standards as LS
provides
a flexible audio,midi driver API so adding so supporting a new plugin
standard is only a matter
of writing a small wrapper.

We recently ported LinuxSampler to Windows (for now only standalone ASIO and
MME MIDI)
and it had very positive effects for the project, we tripled our userbase
overnight, discovered and
fixed bugs, made the code more portable and gained lots of new enthusiastic
users which
did not even know that LS existed. They now want to try out Linux and run LS
on the opensource platform as the OS works better.
So far about the theory "porting an open source application from Linux to
Windows will prevent users to
switch to Linux as they are lazy".

We are adding VST support to LS and it will benefit LS even more as you can
use it for professional productions
fully integrated within your favourite VST sequencer.

If we were such close minded like certain LADers here LS would not enjoy
this kind of success.
Politeness, openess and dialogue is the key.

Do you really think that Dave P, I and others would not be happy to see open
source audio taking over the world ?
Unfortunately theory and practice are two different things and to achieve
one's goal one has to make lots of friends
and go through a transition stage (like porting LS to Windows), even if they
are in some ways your implicit enemy. It's called diplomacy over war.

As I only tried to build a bridge between parties and start a dialogue which
could be beneficial for both but after reading the answers here
I see it makes no sense to continue discussing.

cheers,
Benno