Re: [LAD] Summercode 2008: LASH as a D-Bus service

From: Bob Ham <rah@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 23 2008 - 21:51:59 EET

On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 19:30 +0200, Juuso Alasuutari wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 January 2008 17:58:05 Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> > Having plans for some audio session managament system I've been
> > lurking on this thread.
> >
> > - LASH, or whatever session manager, will have to give
> > special status to JACK, it can't be just another client.
> > In my case, it shouldn't even try to run, stop or configure
> > JACK as some of the things JACK will be used for will be
> > and should remain outside the control of the session manager.

> In my opinion, the concept of "audio session" should _optionally_ include JACK
> server settings. The user should be able to save and load his/her preferred
> JACK settings along with a session

This can be done without any specific support in LASH. You would only
need a JACK-settings LASH client that saves settings with the session
and then loads them again when it's restored. Of course, "loads them
again" would be non-trivial at present.

What's really needed to support this kind of operation is a more dynamic
jackd that can have settings changed arbitrarily and, where possible,
without damage to the client graph. The driver switching patch (from a
long time ago) was intended to be a movement in this direction.

Bob

--
Bob Ham <rah@email-addr-hidden>