[LAD] Summercode 2008: LASH as a D-Bus service

From: Juuso Alasuutari <juuso.alasuutari@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 21 2008 - 16:12:03 EET

Now that the list traffic seems to have calmed down a bit I'd like to draw
attention to another, less controversial (hah!) subject... LASH. Please bear
with me the mandatory introduction:

The Finnish Centre for Open Source Solutions [0] along with a number of
Finnish companies (yes, Nokia's in) is hosting an annual event called
Summercode [1] this year for the third time. As you probably guessed it's a
lot like Google's Summer of Code, but I've understood that it's meant solely
for university students.

The students file applications detailing the project they wish to work on and
the goals they aim to reach. The winning applicants are granted three months
of paid (about 1800 euros/month) development time beginning from June.

For me, this represents an opportunity to get the mostest perfectest summer
job I can possibly imagine. I'm planning on submitting an application for
re-implementing LASH as a D-Bus service (it's Hip, Cool and Popular), and I'm
hoping I'll get lots and lots of feedback from the lot of you for carving out
my application.

Below are the goals in descending order which I believe matter the most. (I'm
in debt to Dave Robillard for sorting out the priorities to me.)

- Turn LASH into a D-Bus service daemon.
- Unify the client and server APIs
- New features, API changes, etc.

The last one is bound to be flammable, and I'm hoping that the feedback I get
will help me concentrate my efforts on what the developers and users think is
most important. Can't do everything in 3 months' time anyway.

The deadline for applications is February 20th, and I want mine to capture the
essence of creative cross-functional combinations of community synergies and
foresight for stimulating innovation.

Thanks,
Juuso

[0] http://www.coss.fi/web/coss/about