Re: [LAD] [OT] LinuxSampler and GPL - some clarifications

From: Dave Robillard <dave@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 31 2008 - 02:50:34 EET

On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 23:38 +0100, Marek wrote:
> On Jan 30, 2008 6:43 PM, Dave Robillard <dave@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> freedom to
> paintings
> > >
> > > Your interpretation robs me of the ability to use GPLed code
> within a
> > > commercial product. This is explicitly contrary to the terms of
> the GPL.
>
> No it's not contrary. And if you're a third party, yes.

Then please, point us to the specific clause in the GPL which prohibits
commercial use of the course code.

> My product is a router which uses your software in an unmodified form.
> It pulls firmware directly from net. I don't offer anything for
> download. Note, this would *not* be a distribution of your software,
> this would be selling of my router.
>
> How do you solve this issue?

If the firmware is distributed, then the source code must be
distributed. This is textbook GPL violation that has precisely nothing
to do with money or commercial use.

> > These are my wishes, and countless other developer's wishes[...]
>
> If these are you wishes, how about simply not taking my point of view,
> or my advice?
> How about not insulting someone who's trying to help those who are
> interested, if you are not interested?

I don't think pushing your crazy interpretation of the GPL that - by
your own admission - noone else on the planet agrees with is "helping"
anyone very much.

Don't worry; like any remotely sane person, I won't be taking your legal
advice any time soon. Call me crazy, but I'll stick with real lawyers,
existance of numerous large (and otherwise) companies who depend on the
actual meaning of the GPL, and over a decade of precedent over some lone
crackpot on a mailing list.

> > Share & enjoy, as long as you share back. Is that really so complicated
> > to understand?
>
> It seems it is. Which is why you should read my emails more carefully.

I have read plenty of information about GPL interpretation from people
who actually know what they're talking about, thanks. You seem to think
it's a given that your emails are actually worth extremely careful
analysis, and that other people should be your voluntary research
assistants no less.

Reality check time, Marek. Noone takes your nonsense seriously.

-DR-