Re: [LAD] [OT] LinuxSampler and GPL - some clarifications

From: Marek <mlf.conv@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 31 2008 - 00:38:28 EET

On Jan 30, 2008 6:43 PM, Dave Robillard <dave@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 17:05 +0000, Gordon JC Pearce wrote:
> > On Wednesday 30 January 2008 16:55:19 Marek wrote:
> > > Ok. How does the interpretation i have given rob you of the freedom to
> > > run the code, study it, modify, distribute or make ascii art paintings
> > > out of it or whatever like that?
> >
> > Your interpretation robs me of the ability to use GPLed code within a
> > commercial product. This is explicitly contrary to the terms of the GPL.

No it's not contrary. And if you're a third party, yes.

> It also imposes wishes on developers who release their software under
> the GPL with an understanding of the implications.
>
> Despite what Marek says about the evils of commercial exploitation or
> whatever, by licensing under the GPL developers /encourage/ commercial
> use - so long as changes get contributed back to the community.

My product is a router which uses your software in an unmodified form.
It pulls firmware directly from net. I don't offer anything for
download. Note, this would *not* be a distribution of your software,
this would be selling of my router.

How do you solve this issue?

> These are my wishes, and countless other developer's wishes, despite
> what a certain non-developer (who ironically only exploits GPL software,
> not creates it) might say.

How do you know i'm not using MacOSX?

If these are you wishes, how about simply not taking my point of view,
or my advice?
How about not insulting someone who's trying to help those who are
interested, if you are not interested?

> People who want to make a CD full of free software and sell it, at a
> profit, are more than welcome to do so.

That's distribution. Not selling software.

> Share & enjoy, as long as you share back. Is that really so complicated
> to understand?

It seems it is. Which is why you should read my emails more carefully.

Marek