Re: [LAD] [OT] LinuxSampler and GPL - some clarifications

From: Hannu Savolainen <hannu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 31 2008 - 01:14:42 EET

Hi All,

This is not exactly a reply to Marek's message bu to this discussion in
general.

Everybody who makes any statements about GPL should read and (hopefully)
understand what GPL actually says.

 From GPLv2:

"For example, if you distribute copies of such a program, whether
gratis or for a fee, you must give the recipients all the rights that
you have. You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the
source code. And you must show them these terms so they know their
rights."

The above says very clearly that "You can distribute copies of such
programs _for a fee_". In other words there is nothing that says you
cannot make money on selling GPLv2'd software (binaries) provided that
somebody is willing to pay.

Then:

"3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it,

under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of
Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:

    a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable
    source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections
    1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,

    b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three
    years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your
    cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete
    machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be
    distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium
    customarily used for software interchange; or,

    c) Accompany it with the information you received as to the offer
    to distribute corresponding source code. (This alternative is
    allowed only for noncommercial distribution and only if you
    received the program in object code or executable form with such
    an offer, in accord with Subsection b above.)"

The above says that you have to distribute the sources to everybody you
have distributed the software itself (binaries). The cost cannot be more
than the cost of the distribution media. You are not even required to
give the sources to everybody but just to the persons/companies you have
sold the software.

Best regards,

Hannu