Re: [LAD] Background on the Impro-Visor project

From: <laseray@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 27 2009 - 21:01:22 EEST

On Monday 27 July 2009 13:10:50 Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> > I have contacted sourceForge
> > about his posting of sources relating to the project, and they
> > suggested filing a copyright infringement (the project is copyright by
> > me and Harvey Mudd College).
>
> You don't want that Raymond does forge his own version of Impro-Visor?
> Why not? I can't see any damage by doing this.

Of course, because there is no damage. In fact, my fork will help popularize
the application. That guy does not understand that though. There is no
such thing as negative publicity, ever heard that expression?

The only reason people like that do not want forks is that they cannot bear
the thought that someone might take their idea and improve upon it in ways
that they could not. It is all power-tripping to maintain control of something
that you have already released into the wild by virtue of using the GPL.

When you use the GPL you essentially are letting go of control. People
should read more before they use certain licenses. If that is not what they
want, then do something else. It is ultimately the responsibility of each
person to understand the license conditions and obligations upfront.
Anything less is just incompetence.

Complaining about actions that are completely legitimate and ethically
correct is a one way ticket to looking like a fool.

> > a lot of the thinking that went into the project is
> > that of me and my students.
>
> And also by some GPL coders.
>
> You won't share your knowledge?

Exactly. Selfishness. Keep control. Be top dog. All ideas that do not
sit well with those of us that believe in the philosophy of free software.

Free software is about meritocracy. You do good things, share those things,
welcome others to contribute, discuss differences of opinion (when people
are reasonable, this is not of one of those cases), and so on.

Raymond

P.S. The Improvisor project still exists on SF along with the files.

Check: http://sf.net/projects/improvisor

I wonder why that is. I know, because there is nothing wrong being done.
Unlike the packages on the Impro-Visor Yahoo group, mine actually
have the GPL license. Thus, Impro-Visor continues to violate the GPL
even with the old version up. Check for yourself and see how incredulous
that guy is. Plus, he also lies about any copyright infringement. There
aren't any infringements with the packages I put up, they are exactly the
same as the ones on the Yahoo group, aside from actually being in compliance
with the GPL or the file names.