Re: [LAD] At the hands of Professor Keller and Raymond

From: Raymond Martin <laseray@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 03 2009 - 15:59:54 EEST

On Monday 03 August 2009 08:12:24 you wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 3:09 AM, Raymond Martin <laseray@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> I suggest that Raymond keep picking the GPL issues of Impro-Visor, till
> everything is fixed. I'm not saying that Raymond should join now or that he
> can't have his fork, but I hope that at some point Raymond can join the
> Impro-Visor project and help improving Impro-Visor. Cause imho this will be
> the best for all parties including and especially the end-user.

Hopes do not always come true. This case is probably one of those times
because someone else has made it next to impossible to help the original.

Take a little inventory. Kicked off group, when not even sending messages to
it. Before that (last year), had messages censored due to differing ideas
(uphold GPL, distribute source, add improvements). A mailing list for the SF
Impro-Visor project is created. What chance do I have of getting on that or
staying on it if allowed to join given the previous actions? So I have to
create my own list where I know I will be fair and let everyone have their
say.

Let us not forget the negative comments on that group that basically attempt
to alienate those of us who believe in FOSS from that project, as if there is
something wrong with us. That is not helpful.

It is very shortsighted to believe that the best interest of a project remains
with the original. It may or may not, depends on the circumstances--the
quality of the code and so forth. It is a myth that only the originators of
a technology can make the best version. The history of computing disagrees
with this attitude, no matter how many people seem to believe it.

To better the software requires a different attitude, an open attitude. A
closed Yahoo group, with censoring, kicking people off. GPL violations.
Negative attitude towards FOSS, even after numerous messages and
an apparent change. These kinds of things really do not shout free and
open to me in any measure.

I'm sure all this babbling has run its course for most on this list. That
is why we can move discussions to my list, where everyone can argue
to their heart's content. Or you can join the Improvisor Google group
(http://groups.google.com/group/improvisor). I let anyone join and have
tried to put the settings as low as possible to keep it very open. This
is not what you are seeing with Impro-Visor. This is a clue that things
really have not changed that much on that side. Otherwise, access
would be open on that group and people would be allowed to speak
freely on it. Now let's see if access on that group suddenly opens
up.

Raymond