Re: [LAD] interesting blog post about syncing blender and ardour

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 21 2009 - 19:36:38 EEST

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 08:18:00AM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:

> SMPTE is a low resolution time code. There is no reason to be limited
> by frame rates of 30 fps when defining a synchronization protocol
> between applications running on the same (or even two networked)
> computer(s). JACK transport is sample-accurate, and as such is
> thousands of times more accurate than SMPTE.

While I'd agree 100% that SMPTE is not what's needed here,
your comments on its potential accuracy are misleading.

The *data* contained in the SMPTE timecode is quantised
to frames. But SMPTE is not just that data. It is data
encoded into an audio signal, and this can be resolved
to sub-microsecond accuracy.

Ciao,

--
FA
Io lo dico sempre: l'Italia è troppo stretta e lunga.