[LAD] Pd, Csound and SuperCollider code as plugin

From: rosea grammostola <rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 21 2009 - 21:33:49 EEST

Hi,

On the LAU list we were discussing the possibilities of audio synthesis
environments as plugins.
" [LAU] From audio synthesis environment to plugin"

Pd, SC and Csound give so much possibilities when it comes to
instruments and effects. Wouldn't it be cool if Linux audio users could
easily use some code/patches as plugins? I imagine, someone makes a cool
synth 'patch' which you can easily use within a 'plugin interface'. So
without knowing how to code in SuperCollider for example, you can
benefit from patches of others, which you can easily use as plugin
 (or 'jack application').

If there is such a 'plugin interface' and people start sharing
'plugins', this could make Linux more useful for Music Production. It
also could fill the gap of not having a lot commercial VST plugins for
Linux imho.

Of course I'm not the first with this idea and there are some solutions
or suggestions already. I'll try to give a list.... (of course I could
miss some options)

-------------

*Csound:*

CSoundLADSPA:
http://www.csounds.com/journal/issue6/csLADSPA.html

CSoundVST:
http://www.csounds.com/manual/html/CommandCsoundVST.html (Windows, but
also possible to build as native Linux plugin, recently).

-------------------

*Pd:*
http://www-crca.ucsd.edu/~jsarlo/pdvst/ (only Windows afaik)

-------------------

*
SuperCollider:*

SC comes with a SuperColliderAU.component (Mac only)

Here are some possibilities listed (Faust for example):
http://supercollider.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Systems_interfacing_with_SC#other_systems

Java bindings -> http://www.erase.net/projects/p5_sc/ and jvst ->
http://jvstwrapper.sourceforge.net/

----------------------

So it seems that CSound already has an solution for GNU/Linux. But Pd
and SC only seems to have solutions for either Windows or Mac.

It would be great and good for Linux audio imho if we could use Pd and
SC patches as plugins on GNU/Linux. And to make them popular and have as
much sharing of plugins between users as possible, a crossplatform
solution might be the best bet.

I'm not a developer, so I can't tell how good my ideas and suggestions
are. I also don't know if I see clear when I see these opportunities.
That's why I mail it to this list, so experts can tell.
Maybe one or more developers likes the idea and also sees these
opportunities and are capable of setting plans and ideas into something
practical...

Thanks in advance,

\rooz