Re: [LAD] [ANN] QjackCtl 0.3.5 slipped away!

From: Jussi Laako <jussi@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 02 2009 - 23:50:14 EEST

Arnold Krille wrote:
> The magic it provides:
> De-coupling functionality from the gui. And allowing several guis to represent
> the same at the same time. And IPC in general.

That's nothing new and has been done way before dbus existed. And there
are more efficient ways to handle it. Even CORBA is faster in most
cases, because many implementations know how to use shared memory as a
message transport instead of sockets.

In general, dbus is very slow way to do IPC and does unnecessary context
switches to a bottleneck called dbus-daemon. But on the otoh, "buy a
faster CPU" seems to be the standard solution to any performance
problems these days.

>> I am asking this because I am experiencing that the 'Kit'-family is
>> doing nameserver lookups before allowing to open a window with my
>> current soundcard mixer levels.
>
> Unless I missed a dbus-kit, one has nothing to do with another.

At least on opensuse all *Kits seem to depend libdbus...