Re: [LAD] GUI for audio application

From: Philipp Überbacher <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 29 2009 - 01:20:09 EET

Excerpts from Adrian Knoth's message of Mon Dec 28 23:04:32 +0100 2009:
> On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 09:11:44PM +0100, Carlo Ascani wrote:
>
> > A library that provides 4 or 5 controls but solid like a rock and of
> > course accessible.
>
> Ah, libprolooks. I guess it could use some updates from CALF again, so
> try to get hold of hansfbaier or kfoltman (both hang around in #lad on
> freenode)
>
> > A knob, a slider, a vumeter, a toggle button. All packaged in a
>
> I agree with almost everything except the vumeter. They are for analog
> equipment, but we're talking digital domain here.
>
> The usual criticism applies: unclear headroom, something like 50% of the
> meter for the upmost 3dB, multiple definitions for the needle's attack
> and release, just to name a few.
>
> VUmeters are no more than eye candy, if possible, stick to digital bar
> meters. It's also worth to have a look at the K metering system, i.e.
> K14, K12 and K10.

For a nice implementation of that, have a look at jkmeters
http://kokkinizita.net/linuxaudio/downloads/index.html

It would be nice if more apps used them where they make sense.
The idea seems to be from Bob Katz.
Basically they are a peak and a rms meter in one, supposed to be used
with a calibrated monitoring system. You can find some explanation on
Bob Katzs website.

Regards,
Philipp