Re: [LAD] Congratulations Ardour Team!!!

From: Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings@email-addr-hidden-hochschule.de>
Date: Sun Jan 03 2010 - 16:46:26 EET

Bob Ham wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-01-03 at 13:32 +0100, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
>> On Sun, 2010-01-03 at 12:27 +0000, Bob Ham wrote:
>>
>>> This "product", Mixbus, does indeed seem to be a modified version of
>>> Ardour. However, I can't seem to find any source code or, for that
>>> matter any downloads at all on the Harrison website.
>> http://ardour.org/node/3011
>>

> It's good to see that the source code is publicly available

not completely. the ardour and channel strip UI part is, but the actual
dsp guts are in a closed-source ladspa plugin written by harrison.

> but I'm
> still concerned that Harrison customers might not be told that they have
> access to it. I could find no mention whatsoever of source code on
> their website. According to the GPL 2, they must necessarily provide
> along with their binaries, either the source code itself or a written
> offer to provide the source code. Is this happening?

interesting question. i'm sure ben loftis can clarify. in any case,
there is certainly no ill will involved here.

i can see how harrison, given their prospective customer base, would not
want to talk about anything as scary source code on their product page... ;)
for them, the most elegant way would probably be a link in some README
in the download package.

happy new year, everyone!

jörn