Re: [LAD] Composite 0.006 Released (LV2 Sampler)

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Mon Mar 22 2010 - 19:01:10 EET

Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Mar 2010, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
>

>> If we get rid of the sequencer, what is so good about Hydrogen's sample
>> engine that I'd want to reuse it instead of something else (other than
>> compatibility with existing sample kits)?
>>

> Good question. I often hear on LAD and LAU:
>
> 1. I wish I could have Hydrogen as a plugin so I don't
> have to load it's whole GUI or use its
> @NEGATIVE_COMMENT@ step-sequencer.
>
> 2. I wish Hydrogen had a JACK MIDI port. (This is
> actually a variation on #1 because someone wants
> to use it with a sequencer like non-sequencer
> or with a Wiimote-as-midi-controller).
>
> 3. I wish there was something like specimen as a
> plugin. Why specimen? Because if you're editing
> a bank of sound clips from "The Simpons" rather
> than a Piano, it makes more sense from a user
> perspective.
>
> AFAIK, there is nothing (except /maybe/ linuxsampler +
> gigedit) that currently meets this need. If you can name
> some others, please do.
>
> Composite needs a sampler like this as a core part of the
> application. I can't use linuxsampler because I disagree
> with its license. So, I've been refactoring Hydrogen's
> sampler to meet Composite's needs... and I'm doing it in a
> way so that other people can benefit even if they don't want
> to use Composite.
>
> And this literally benefits everyone, no matter what your
> DSP design philosophy: everything-as-a-plugin (LV2), "the
> modular way" (lv2_jack_host), and monolithic apps
> (libTritium).
>
> -gabriel

Using Hydrogen it's possible to tune the samples, to pan the samples, to
readjust the volume of the samples, to replace some samples. Using
Fluidsynth-DSSI you just can load a soundfonts and enjoy drums that at
least aren't tuned to fit to your song, the snare in any case is to loud
for default soundfonts and I don't think using swami is fun. For
Linuxsampler it's the same and in addition there's no DSSI or editor I
guess.