Re: [LAD] LAC "Tools" round-table wrapup

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat May 15 2010 - 20:32:54 EEST

Philipp Überbacher wrote:
> Excerpts from Robin Gareus's message of 2010-05-15 18:07:53 +0200:
>> Hi LADs,
>>
>> Following up on the LAC Tools round-table, I've started a wiki page:
>> http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/tools_comparison
>>
>> Since I've not taken part in the discussion, I'm missing a few footnotes
>> and explanation for keys in the context (eg. batch, sync). Could you
>> please enlighten me, or just fill in the missing content there.
>>
>> IMHO it'd also make sense to do a 2nd table with orthogonal practical
>> information, for instance:
>> audio: JACK,ALSA,..
>> midi: JACK,ALSA,ALSA-seq
>> audio-file-formats: pcm,mp3,gig,mid,..
>> control: OSC,TCP,pipe,MMC,..
>> interop/sync: jack-transport,MTC
>> plugins (if applicable): LV2,LADSPA,VST,AU,..
>>
>> Come to think of it, those could be integrated in the apps-database as
>> tags for each tool, similar to:
>> http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/apps/categories/jack_transport
>> but let's get the categories/tags straightened out before starting on an
>> implementation and posting it to LAU. What do you think?
>>
>> Cheers!
>> robin
>
> I've also not taken part and hence don't even know what this is about.
> Can you enlighten me and show me where to read/listen/watch up on it?

nope. I'm looking for the same info :) The table on the wiki page is
based on a spreadsheet that Albert Graef sent me. Neither the
round-table, not the wrap-up session has been recorded.

I know there've been ~15 people (most of which subscribe to LAD)
participating in the round-table and ~50 in the wrap-up session.
anyone please..

In partictular the "multi-rate", "sync" & "async" need clarification.

I assume "multi-rate" means real-time resampling (different sample-rates
in the _same_ session).
Also "batch" is somewhat sloppy. Does it mean batch processing is
available from inside the application or just that the app can be
launched from a batch script?

> The table looks like it could become something useful, but you're right,
> it reminds of the apps.linuxaudio.org db, which could and should be
> expanded.

right, but the tools-overview is a bit different: It does not aim to be
complete and puts focus on well-established frameworks to give an
overview to newcomers:
"I want to do an interactive A/V piece: What software do you recommend?"

The round-table was intended to give developers an opportunity to
position themselves and think about what a given app does best and how
to distinguish one from the other; along the lines:
"We don't need another framework, we need to consolidate existing ones".

best,
robin