[LAD] LAC "Tools" round-table wrapup

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat May 15 2010 - 19:07:53 EEST

Hi LADs,

Following up on the LAC Tools round-table, I've started a wiki page:
http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/tools_comparison

Since I've not taken part in the discussion, I'm missing a few footnotes
and explanation for keys in the context (eg. batch, sync). Could you
please enlighten me, or just fill in the missing content there.

IMHO it'd also make sense to do a 2nd table with orthogonal practical
information, for instance:
  audio: JACK,ALSA,..
  midi: JACK,ALSA,ALSA-seq
  audio-file-formats: pcm,mp3,gig,mid,..
  control: OSC,TCP,pipe,MMC,..
  interop/sync: jack-transport,MTC
  plugins (if applicable): LV2,LADSPA,VST,AU,..

Come to think of it, those could be integrated in the apps-database as
tags for each tool, similar to:
http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/apps/categories/jack_transport
but let's get the categories/tags straightened out before starting on an
implementation and posting it to LAU. What do you think?

Cheers!
robin